Bellevue, Newfoundland and Labrador

Bellevue
Tickle Harbour
Fishing Town
Bellevue

Location of Bellevue in Newfoundland

Coordinates: 47°37′58.8″N 53°45′0″W / 47.633000°N 53.75000°WCoordinates: 47°37′58.8″N 53°45′0″W / 47.633000°N 53.75000°W
Country  Canada
Province  Newfoundland and Labrador
Population (2006)
  Total 415 including Thornlea and Bellevue Beach.
Time zone Newfoundland Time (UTC-3:30)
  Summer (DST) Newfoundland Daylight (UTC-2:30)
Area code(s) 709

Bellevue is a small community located in Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador. It was founded in 1864 as Tickle Harbour, but the name was changed to Bellevue on December 11, 1896. It has a population of about 200 people, 415 including the communities of Thornlea and Bellevue Beach. It has two stores, one of which is a gas bar. The gas bar (Connie's) has cabins for rent on the side, and is close to a community playground. The wharf once hosted many fishing boats but the local fishermen, for the most part, now dock at the larger wharf in nearby Long Cove. This is convenient because there is a fish plant there. Bellevue is about 110 kilometres (sixty-eight miles) away from St. John's. Bellevue is approximately a ten-minute drive from the neighbouring community of Bellevue Beach (mentioned above), which was founded by Augustus Whitten in the years following World War Two. Originally intended as quiet land for a cottage, Mr Whitten saw potential in his land as the former highway was paved, passing directly through the area. He sold his store on the South side of St. John's and moved to 'Bellevue Beach,' where he started a local restaurant. As other families moved to the area and time passed, the community gained and lost two stores, a hairdressing shop, built a business of cabins- Fiddler's Green- which is still standing today, and is home to a previously provincial campground. The original restaurant has since also become a club as well as a gas bar and is now being renovated into rooms for rent.

History

In 1911 it had two stores and a church. The first Postmistress was Margaret Lynch in 1894. It had a population of 140 in 1911 and 285 in 1956. Bellevue got its name from a local priest by the name of Father Browne. Father Browne travelled to Tickle Harbour on foot from the railway station at Tickle Harbour crossing. When viewing the community on his way down the hill from what is now the transcanada, he renamed the community Bellevue, meaning; beautiful sight or view. The path down the hill to broad lake was always called Father Brown's road by the older people. Folklore says that at the same time that he renamed the community, he blessed a small brook that he drank from, which was also referred to by the older folk as the blessed brook. It is the place that my grandfather died whilst picking partridge berries in 1944. His name was James Murphy.

See also