Walter Cook established a Thames sailing barge building business in 1894 on the bank of the River Blackwater at Maldon, Essex, England. The business, known as Walter Cook and Son, operated until the 1980s - at which time, it was the last remaining barge yard in Britain.
In 1999, Topsail Charters took on the lease of the yard and refurbished it. They restored boatbuilding and barge repair to the site and maintain the last set of original barge repair blocks on the east coast of England.[1]
Walter Cook took on the shipyard on the River Blackwater at Maldon in 1894 to build the Thames sailing barge Dawn, which had been ordered by James Keeble, a member of a well-known local barge owning family.
The Dawn was launched in 1897 and, not long afterwards, the yard started work on the Lord Roberts, for Meesons of Battlesbridge. In 1902, the British King was launched - a second barge built by Walter Cook and Son for the Keebles.
As well as building barges, Cooks yard built the steamboat Annie for Charrington the brewer. The Annie was used for taking passengers to Osea Island and it was the first of a succession of pleasure craft that ran from the beach at Maldon promenade.
In 1907 Cooks were contracted by the Admiralty to build the prototype of the newly designed Montague Whaler. This resulted in many years of work on subsequent orders. The yard built a hundred whalers during the second world war, launching one roughly every three weeks.
In the 1920s a visit by Josh Francis of the Colchester barge owners Francis and Gilders led to forty years of steady barge building work for Walter Cook and Son.
As wooden barges started to get old, their owners became reluctant to spend money repairing them and some of them were sold off for other uses. In 1937, Cooks converted the sailing barge Challenger to a yacht.
A lot of barges were requisitioned during the second world war and many of them were damaged as a result. Cooks' yard was very busy with repair work after the war ended. In those days, too, a lot of barges were coming to the yard to be fitted with diesel engines as the days of trading under sail alone began to pass.
In late 1945, and 1946, Cook's yard undertook the re-fitting - for Chief Engineer Bill Wilson and Skipper Albert Brand [Owners] of the Southend Motor Navigation Co. [S.M.N.Co.] of their 75ft TSMV "Julia Freak" [volunteered for "Operation Dynamo" in 1940, and thereafter requisitioned by the Admiralty for service as a coastal minesweeper, and handed back to her owners in an appallingly-negelected condition]; and Cookie's boatbuilders helped S.M.N.CO Staff outfit her for the 1946 Holiday Season at Southend-on-Sea, - after the Admiralty released the vessel from her wartime service. For that 1946 Season, the refitted "Julia Freak - [built by Hayward's of Southend on Sea at their Yard hard by The Kursaal, during the 1920's, for the S.M.N.Co.] was re-registered as the "New Prince Of Wales 1" - in Memory of the Fleet Flagship of that name, - sunk off La Panne, during Operation Dynamo, [May, 1940], Sub.Lt. Peter Bennett in command. "Also - again for the S.M.N.Co., - in 1946, Cookie repaired and re-engined [after a sinking from bomb damage, at her mooring alongside Southend Pier Pavilion, being salved, and spending the rest of WW2 in a mud-berth at Leigh-on-Sea] and returned to fishing service - the 48ft late-Victorian sailing Smack "May" [Regd # LO180, and re-named "Valerie" after her 1946 re-fit].The S.M.N.Co. used the "Valerie" to fulfill a fishery Contract issued by and paid for the Ministry Of Food. "Cookie" also built 2 new twin-screw passenger-carrying launches for the S.M.N.Co.in the late-1940's; - both successively larger replacements for the pre-war "Princess Maud" - [also volunteered for Operation Dynamo" in 1940, and reported "lost to causes unknown"]. The second and larger of these two new launches Cookie built for Bill Wilson & Albert Brand - a 60ft l.o.a. vessel - was Christened "New Princess Maud"; and the first and smaller 48ft launch the new vessel replaced, was re-christened "Duchess of York". Again, both of these new passenger-carrying "pleasure boats" were replacements for War Losses. The Hythe at Maldon alongside Cookie's Yard became the S.M.N.Co.'s regular winter-layup base after WW2. All three of the aforementioned S.M.N.Co. "pleasure boats" worked in the summer-holidaymaker river-excursion Trade until the mid-1960'S. Their pictures can be seen on pages 3 and 4 of the "Simplon - The Passenger Ship Website" - <www.simplonpc.co.uk> where Ian Boyle has kindly posted a Company History and pictures of the S.M.N.Co. pleasure excursion fleet. [These notes of the S.M.N.Co.'s long association with Cook's Yard, are publicly posted "In Memorian" for W.H.("Bill") Wilson, - by his oldest son Lloyd, who has treasured memories of playing around the Cook's Yard slipway during the winter lay-up periods from 1946 - 1953, and was often loaned one of Cookie's small yard workboats, to perfect his rowing abilities.]
Walter Cook retired in 1946 and the yard was taken over by his son Clifford, who had been working there since 1919.
G F Sully contracted Cook's yard to maintain all their barges, including the Hydrogen. Cooks were also contracted by the Leigh Building Company to maintain their fleet of barges, which suffered from very rough treatment and were constantly needing repair.
Clifford Cook retired in 1976 and the yard was bought by Barry Pearce and Gordon Swift, and later Roger Beckett. Cook's yard continued with barge maintenance and boat building until 1992, when the last shipwright left.
In 1999, Topsail Charters took over the yard and restored shipwrighting and rigging to their traditional place by the river there.