Waynesburg and Washington Railroad

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Waynesburg and Washington
Reporting marks WAW
Locale Washington and Waynesburg
Dates of operation 1868–1976
Track gauge narrow gauge (3ft 6in) and 4ft 8.5in (Standard gauge) after 1944

The Waynesburg and Washington was a narrow gauge line between Washington and Waynesburg. It was converted to standard gauge in 1944 and renamed the Waynesburg Secondary. It had steep grades and sharp curves. It had few online industries and was used as an interurban passenger route. It was owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad. It was created on April 4, 1868 and existed until 1976, when Conrail took it and the Chartiers Branch over.

[edit] External links