Yıldırım Camii
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yildirim Camii is part of the large complex in Bursa, Turkey built by Yıldırım Bayezid. The mosque was built between 1391-1395 and went under an extensive renovation following the earthquake in 1855 .
[edit] Architecture
The mosque comprises a central hall with a large dome flanked by eyvans on the east and west with smaller domes and another large domed eyvan with mihrab on the south.
There are four rooms with fireplaces and cupboards to the north and south of side of the eyvans. South eyvans are accessed directly from the central hall while the north eyvans are accessed thought small vestibules. Each north eyvan also contains two niches on the sides that are accessed trough the vestibules. The entrance hall of the mosque features high domed ceilings. The last prayer section (semi-open section of the mosque at the north end) is built with five sub-sections and each subsection is covered with an individual dome.
In the Yıldırım Camii, all three eyvans were built three steps higher than the centrall hall. Yıldırım Camii was the first structure where Bursa Arch was implemented. This flattened arch is located in between the central hall and south eyvan connects and supports the two large domes. There are two minarets on the sides of the mosque. Unlike similar mosques of its time in Bursa, Yıldırım Camii was constructed entirely out of dimension stones and bricks were not used in any part of the mosque.
[edit] Sources
- www.osmanlimedeniyeti.com Bursa Yıldırım Beyazıt Camii.