Spui (Amsterdam)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Spui is a square in the centre of Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The Spui was originally a body of water that formed the southern limit of the city until the 1420s, when the Singel canal was dug as an outer moat around the city. In 1882 the Spui was filled in, and became the square that we know today.

In 1996 the square was renovated and is now largely car-free. Tram lines 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 14, 16, 24 and 25 stop at or near the Spui.

The Spui is a mecca for book-lovers, with a high-quality weekly book market and a wide variety of bookstores on or near the square, including two shops dedicated to English-language literature (the American Book Center relocated to the Spui in October 2006). The book market is held every Friday. There is also a weekly art market on the Spui, every Sunday.

A small statue, "Het Lieverdje" ("The Little Darling"), stands on the square. The statue represents the youth of Amsterdam, always playing pranks yet with a heart of gold. In the 1960s, the Provo counterculture movement held weekly gatherings around the statue.

The Spui provides entry to the Begijnhof, a Medieval courtyard.

[edit] Notable buildings

  • The Maagdenhuis (1780), the headquarters of the University of Amsterdam.
  • Arti et Amicitiae (1841), an artists' society and art gallery at the corner of Rokin and Spui, designed in part by Berlage.
  • Gebouw Helios (1895-96) at Spui 15-19, in Art Noveau style. The design by Gerrit van Arkel won third prize in the architects' competition at the 1900 World's Fair in Paris.
  • The Oude Lutherse Kerk (1632-1633), the Old Lutheran Church, across the Singel canal.
In other languages